Tomato Soup Recipe
Tomato soup – a soup which is popular in all Indian restaurants.
- 4 medium to large tomatoes
- 2-3 garlic cloves
- 1 small onion
- 1 bay leaf/tej patta
- 1 tsp corn starch + 2 tbsp water
- 1 or 1.5 tbsp butter
- 1 cup water
- 1 tbsp cream – you can consider adding 2 tbsp cream or dot with cream when serving the soup.
- ½ tbsp organic unrefined cane sugar or as required
- 1 or 2 slices of bread – brown, whole wheat or white bread
- freshly crushed or powdered black pepper as required
- salt as required
A few points to be kept in mind to make a really good tomato soup recipe:
- Use fresh ripe red tomatoes.
- Avoid using tomatoes which are sour or unripe.
- Make sure that the soup does not become very sweet. After all its tomato soup and should have the tang in it.
- The tomatoes are blanched & then pureed.
- You can skip the onions in the soup if you prefer, but do add the garlic.
Let’s start to make restaurant style tomato soup :
1. First rinse the tomatoes and keep aside. In a saucepan or pot take enough water so that the tomatoes can get immersed. Add about 1 tsp salt to the water and bring the water to a boil.
2. Add the tomatoes and switch off the fire. Close the saucepan or pot with the lid. Let the tomatoes be immersed in the hot water for 20-30 minutes.
3. Drain the tomatoes and let them become warm or cool down. Due to the blanching process, the tomato peels shrinks and can be easily removed.
4. In the mean time, heat a frying pan or pre heat the oven. Place the bread in the pan and on a low flame toast the bread till its browned and crisp from both sides. If using the oven, place the bread in the oven at 200 degrees C and toast the bread till it’s browned and crisp.
5. Make a smooth paste of 1 tsp corn flour with 2 tbsp water.
6. Directly chop the tomatoes above the blender jar so that the juices drop directly inside the blender jar. Blend the tomatoes to a smooth puree. There should be no bits or small chunks of tomatoes. It should be a really smooth puree.
7. Melt butter in a pan. Add the bay leaf and sauté for 5-6 seconds. Add the garlic and sauté for about 10-12 seconds on a low flame.
8. Add the chopped onion and sauté till the onions become translucent.
9. Now add the tomato puree.
10. Stir and then add water, salt and pepper.
11. On a low to medium flame, let the soup come to a gentle boil. Stir the corn starch paste that we made earlier and add it to the soup.
12. Stir well and simmer for 3-4 minutes till the soup thickens on a low flame. Now add sugar and stir. Then add the cream.
13. Stir the cream and simmer for a minute. Switch off the stove.
14. Chop the toasted bread into cubes.
15. Pour the steaming hot tomato soup in soup bowls. Add the bread croutons to the soup. You can also garnish the tomato soup with coriander leaves and dot with some cream if you prefer.
Tomato soup– easy to make tomato soup restaurant style.