- Rice : 1.5 cup
- Tomato (chopped) : 400 gms
- Chili powder : 1.5 tsp
- Turmeric : 1/2 tsp
- Ginger : 3/4 tsp
- Sambhar powder : 1 tsp
- Mint leaves ( chopped): 1/4 cup
- Salt : a pinch
For Tempering :
- Cooking oil : 4 tbsp
- Mustard seeds /rai : 1.5 tsp
- Cumin: 1 tsp
- White lentil : 1 tsp
- Cashew nuts pieces: 1/4 cup
- Green chilies (chopped) : 2 tsp
- Curry leaves : 10 nos
- Wash and soak rice for about 15 minutes.
- In a big pan and add enough water and 1 tsp salt and let it boil.
- When water start boiling add soaked rice and cook till its almost done.
- Drain boiled rice in a kitchen sieve and keep it aside.
- Grind tomato and make it a smooth puree.
- Heat oil in a heavy bottom pan, then add cashew pieces and fry till it turns golden in colour , drain and keep aside.
- Add urad daal, mustard seed and cumin seed in oil.
- When the seeds starts crackling add chopped green chilies and curry leaves to this and add tomato puree and all the spices and cook till it thickens.
- Add chopped mint, boiled rice and fried cashews to this and mix it gently.
- Cover the pan with a lid and cook for 2-3 minutes on low flame.
- Serve hot with yogurt or pickles.