The Town Hall turns 80
The Famous Sir K.P. Puttana Chetty Town Hall, Popularly known as The Town Hall, Bangalore will be turning 80 today. It was Sri Kanteerava Narasimharaja Wadiyar who inaugurated the hall on September 11, 1935. The 80-year-old stone structure which is built in European Classical Greco-Roman style was constructed at a cost of Rs. 1.75 lakh under the guidance of the then Dewan of Mysore Sir Mirza Muhammad Ismail.
The structure was named after the great philanthropist K.P. Puttana Chetty,he was the first president of the then Bangalore City Municipality. The main auditorium with two floors is a rectangular block and comes with a seating capacity of 1,038 seats. Teakwood has been used extensively used for the interiors. Town Hall has been the centre for all cultural activities for nearly three decades. It also served as an outdoor platform for demonstrators who wanted to make their protest against the government. Town hall was renovated in the year 1976 at a cost of 65 lakhs, but the seating capacity got reduced by 810. It is all set for another renovation after 24 years and this time Rs 5 crore has been alocated for it.