- Cumin seeds : 1 tsp
- Sugar : 500 gm
- Salt : 1 tblsp
- Garlic paste : 1 tblsp
- Mustard oil : 1 cup
- Red chilli powder : 1 tsp
- Water : as needed
- Soak the tamarind pieces in a bowl with 2 cups of water for two hours.
- Toast cumin seeds on a hot tawa and grind into powder.
- Pour the tamarind extract mixed water through a sieve in a bowl.
- Squeeze the tamarind flesh on to the sieve and set aside on a bowl.
- Pour the tamarind extract in a cooking pot and add the sugar, salt, garlic paste, mustard oil, red chilli and cumin powder and cook for 10 minutes on medium flame.
- Stir Continuously as it is cooked.
- Put the mixture on bowl and cover with a light cloth.
- Stir well and let the pickle for sun drying for 2 weeks.
- Best served with rice, idly, dosa.