St. Joseph’s Boys High School
St. Joseph’s Boys’ High School(formerly St. Joseph’s European High School) located on Museum Road in Bangalore, Karnataka, India is a boys’ school. The history of the institution is given in the book “Faith and Toil” by Christopher Rego, an alumnus of the school. The school building has reconstructed, with wings of the original aging building being demolished and replaced with a modern structure. The school celebrated its 150th year in 2008. Every year old boys travel from across the globe to attend the Old Boys Day which falls one day after the annual sports day of the school.
St. Joseph’s Boys High School, Bangalore (formerly St. Joseph’s European High School) was founded in 1858 to offer a liberal education for the boys of European and Anglo-Indian families. After India’s independence, admission was extended in the 1950s and 1960s to include all students, irrespective of race, religion or caste. Students of all religions are admitted and put under the supervision of the religious Fathers and Brothers. The school buildings are situated in the center of the (formerly European quarter of the) city, between Museum Road and Residency Road. The now obsolete dormitories were initially housed in the upper floors.
The large open playgrounds belonging to the School give space for cricket, football, hockey and other games and forms of exercise. One of the grounds was situated in the school premises while the other, where the school cricket team trains, is called the Centenary Ground located on Mahatma Gandhi Road near the Mayo Hall. The School pays great attention to physical training and sports and has conducted the Annual Hockey Tournament for ICSE schools in Bangalore for many decades. The School also hosts a Cadet Platoon, a Boy Scouts Troop, and Debating and Literary Societies for the higher classes.
In the year 1883 when J.M. Vissac was the Rector, the school was situated on St. John’s Hill at the current location of St. Germain High School, adjoining the St. Francis Xavier’s Cathedral. In the tradition of visionaries, Fr. Vissac wanted the school to be located on a big campus in the heart of the City Cantonment. So he purchased a property called the Rocklands, adjacent to the Madras Bank (the present State Bank of India) and the Good Shepherd Convent. He was the architect of the stately buildings on Museum Road whose foundation stone was laid in 1894. In 1898, the school transferred from St. John’s Hill to Museum Road and brought with it 100 boarders and 89 day scholars.
132, St. John’s Church Road
P.O. Box No. 25003
Bengaluru, Karnataka – 560025
Phone: 080-22214416, 22106706