Sophia High School
Sophia High School is a private school in Bangalore, India. The middle and high schools are girls only, while the primary school is co-educational.
Sophia High School is located on 10 acres in central Bangalore overlooking the Vidhan Soudha and the Bangalore golf course. In August 1948 when the Internuncio and the Apostolic Delegation shifted to New Delhi, his residence and grounds in the heart of Bangalore was taken over by a group of Catholic nuns of the Society of the Sacred Heart, RSCJ. In January 1949, three pioneers of the order, Mother Catherine Andersson, Mother Ivy Bourke and Sister Dorothy Bullen opened a school called the “Convent of the Sacred Heart” in the only residential building on the grounds, the old “white bungalow”. A Montessori class with 17 students and one qualified teacher was established. About 40% of the students admitted were not Indian nationals. In 1957 the school’s name was changed to “Sophia High School” after St Madeline Sophie Barat, a founder of the Society of the Sacred Heart.
In 1972, the Society of the Sacred Heart, reviewed their strategy in India, and handed off several thriving local schools, including Sophia High School, to other Catholic groups, to focus more on schools that needed funding and attention, especially in India’s rural areas. Sophia High School was taken over by the School Sisters of Notre Dame. Since then the school has grown significantly. The school’s current enrollment is over 2,000 students. The school is not a religious organization and its students, who are chosen through a competitive interview process, hail from many different ethnicities. The founding “white bunglow” still stands on campus and was remodeled in 1998.
High Grounds, Sampangi Rama Nagar, Bangalore, Karnataka 560001
Ph : 080 2226 6825