Rajkumar, The famous kannada actor-singer, was born on 24th April 1929 in Gajanur (Now part of Tamil Nadu). He is known as the cultural Icon of kannada film industry. He started his acting career at the age of 8 and got his first break in the Movie “bedara kannappa” (1954). He acted in more than 220 films. Rajkumar is the recepient of eleven karnataka State film Awards, Ten filmfare Awards (South), Two national filmfare awards. He received the NTR National Award in the year 2002.
He also got padma bhushan and was awarded The Dadasaheb Phalke Award in the Year 1995. In july 2000, He was abducted by forest brigand veerapan demanding the release of his gang members, later rajkumar was released unharmed after 108 days of captivity. Rajkumar won as many awards and recognitions for his invaluable contributions to the kannada film industry. He died on 12th April 2006, Due to cardiac arrest. Later his eyes were donated, As per his wishes.
- “Nata Saarvabhowma” in 1967 by the Government of Karnataka
- Honorary Doctorate from the Mysore University : 1976
- Padma Bhushan award in 1983
- Kentucky colonel (Honorable Order of Kentucky Colonels) honorary title by the governor of Kentucky, U.S in 1985.
- The Nadoja Award from Hampi University in 1999
- Nine Karnataka State Film Awards for the category “Best Actor”
- Two Karnataka State Film Awards in the Best Playback Singer category
- Karnataka Ratna in 1992
- ETV Kannadiga of the Year Award in 2003
- Postal stamp and gold coins have been issued in his name in 2009 by the central government of India.