Nandan Nilekani is well known Indian entrepreneur, bureaucrat and a politician. He was born on 2nd June 1955 at Bangalore, Karnataka. He hails from a konkani Bhramin Community from Sirsi town. He did his schooling at Bishop Cotton Boys’ School, bangalore and later at St. Joseph High School Dharwad, Karnataka PU College Dharwad. He got his bachelor’s degree in electrical engineering from the Indian Institute of Technology Bombay, Mumbai. He held the position of the Chairman of the Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI). After a successful career at Infosys, he headed the Government of India’s technology committee, TAGUP. He is also a member of Indian National Congress.
He started his career at Patni computer systems in the year 1978,which is based at Mumbai.There he met Mr.N.R.Narayana Murthy and later in 1981,They along with other five employees left the company to set up their own Company, Infosys.He became the CEO in March 2002 and served as CEO for 5 years till April 2007,later became co-chairman of the board of directors. He left Infosys in july 2009 to serve as the chairman of the Unique Identification Authority of India,(UIDAI). It is a biometric method which aims to provide a unique identification number for all citizens of India.He also serves as the member of the board of governors of ICRIER and the president of Independent applied economics research institute in India.He also authored a book ” Imagining India: The Idea of a Renewed Nation”. In the year 2014 he joined politics and contested the elections as a congress candidate from Bangalore South constituency where he lost by 228,575 votes to his rival BJP candidate Mr.Anant kumar. He is married to Rohini nilekani and the couple have two children, Nihar and Janhavi.
Honours and awards :
- The Padma Bhushan, (2006)
- Businessman of the Year by Forbes Asia.(2006)
- Honorary Doctor of Law degree – Rotman School of Management (University of Toronto)
- Joseph Schumpeter Prize for innovative services in economy, economic sciences and politics – 2005.
- Corporate Citizen of the Year at the Asia Business Leaders Award (2004)
- Indian of the Year’s Transformational Idea of the Year Award – (2011)
- ‘Legend in Leadership Award’ by the YaleUniversity in (2009).
- Youngest entrepreneur to join 20 global leaders on the World Economic Forum