Madikeri is in Kodagu district, Karnataka.Its a popular tourist destination,The main language spoken is Kodava Takk, Kannada.
Madikeri has a population of 32,286 as per 2001 census. Males constitute 51% of the population and females 49%.Madikeri had an average literacy rate of 81%, Madikeri has a tropical highland climate as it has an elevation of 1061 metres and is situated at an elevation of over 5000 ft above sea level. Madikeri lies in the Western Ghats,The nearest cities are Mangalore to the west, and Mysore to the east.The mean daily minimum temperature is lowest in January at about 11 °C.Maximum temperature in summer is around 24 °C to 27 °C.With the onset of the south-west monsoon, the temperature decreases in June and the weather becomes chilly.The lowest temperature recorded is 4.5 °C.
Getting There :
Madikeri lies on the Karnataka State Highway 88 that runs from Mysore to Mangalore. It is 120 km from Mysore and 136 km from Mangalore. From Bangalore,take the State Highway 17 (Bangalore – Mysore Highway) and take a deviation just after the town of Srirangapatna to join State Highway 88 towards Madikeri. From Bangalore, Madikeri is at a distance of 252 km. Nearby towns are Hassan (115 km) in Karnataka state and Kannur, Thalassery and Kanhangad in Kerala state (each around 114 km away).
By rail :
Madikeri does not have a railway station. The nearest railheads are Hassan, Kasaragod, Kanhangad, Kannur and Thalassery Mysore and Mangalore at 140 km away are good alternatives to reach Madikeri from within Karnataka.
Mysore is the nearest airport ,Mangalore International Airport (140 km) is another alternative with flights from Mumbai, Bengalooru, Hyderabad, Chennai and Gulf countries.
Places to see :
It is a small square mantapa which is in brick and mortar of four pillars bridged by arches, sorrounded by beautiful scenery. This was a favourite place of recreation for the Rajas . It is built on a high level ground with a commanding view of the cliffs and valleys to the west.
This fort was first built the 17th century,and was eventually rebuilt in granite by Tipu Sultan who named the site as Jaffarabad. In 1790, Doddavira Rajendra took control of the fort. The British also made some contributions to the fort in 1834. The palace was renovated by Lingarajendra Wodeyar II between 1812 and 1814. In the north-east corner at the entrance there are two life size masonry elephants, and a church is present in the south-east corner. There is a famous Lord Ganesha temple known as “Kote ganapathi” just at the main entrance of the fort.
Is Located at the heart of the Town, Omkareshwara temple was built by king Lingarajendra in 1820. The temple built around a central pool. As per the history, Lingarajendra killed an honest and pious Brahmin to fulfill his political ambitions. That Brahmin became a “Brahmarakshasa” and started troubling the king In order to purify himself for the killing of a Brahmin, he was advised to construct a temple to Lord Shiva, and thus He brought a Shivalinga from Kashi, and the temple was built and named “Omkareshwara”.