Ingredients for outer layer:
- Maida – ½ cup
- Fine sooji – 1/8 cup
- Rice flour -1/2 cup
- Milk – ¼ cup
- Salt – as required
- Hot gee/oil – ½ tspn
Ingredients for filling (coconut filling) :
- Dry Coconut – ¼ cup
- Powdered Sugar – ¼ cup
- Cashew nuts – 5 chopped finely
- Puppy seeds – ½ tspn (slightly roasted in dry pan)
- Cardamom powder a pinch
Method of preparing Karjjikay :
1. Mix all the ingredients, use milk & enough water to make stiff dough. The dough has to be little stiffer than the chapathi/poori dough.
2. Cover the dough using tissue or damp cloth and let it rest for 15-20 minutes.
3. Fry the broken cashew nuts using little gee & mix with other ingredients, that is given under the filling.
4. Divide the dough to 12-15 balls, using rolling pin make 2.5” inch uniform discs.
5. Fill 1-1 ¼ tspn of filling, apply water in the edges and join it. Using the fork give slight impression.
6. Cover with cloth until it is ready to fry. It is very important.
7. Once it is ready deep fry with hot gee or oil and serve hot & crispy Karjjikay.