How to Obtain a marriage certificate in Karnataka
A Marriage Certificate is an important document that shows proof of marriage. It is mandatory for a number of purposes like applying for passport, applying for visa,claiming bank deposits or insurance benefits in case of death of spouse without a nomination, etc. The state government of Karnataka is on the verge of making marriage registration compulsory in the state. In India, marriage registration is done according to the Hindu Marriage Act, 1955 or Special Marriage Act, 1954. Groom must have completed 21 years of age and Bride must have completed 18 years of age at the time of marriage to be Eligibile for application for Certificate of Marriage in Karnataka.
Documents needed for application of Certificate of Marriage :
- One copy of wedding card.
- Six copies of joint photographs of bridegroom and bride in a blue or white background in 2B size.
- Two photographs of the bride and groom in marriage dress taken while the marriage ceremony was in progress and which shows that they are taking part in the ceremony.
- Identity proof of both the bride and the groom (Pan card or Voter ID card or Passport, etc)
- Address proof of the husband (Passport, Driving License, Telephone Bill, Ration Card)
- Age proof of both bride and groom (class 10 Mark sheet with date of birth on it or Passport)
- Affidavit in case of the name change of bride after the marriage.
- Newspaper in which the name-change information was published.
The above mentioned documents are needed in original and photocopy form to be submitted along with the application form for obtaining the Marriage Certificate.