Devi Prasad Shetty- Cardiac Surgeon
Devi Prasad Shetty was born on 8th May 1953, He is a cardiac surgeon and an Indian philanthropist and He has leveraged economies of scale to provide affordable healthcare. He was awarded the Padma Bhushan, third highest civilian award in India for his contribution to the field of affordable healthcare. Dr. Devi Prasad Shetty is the chairman and Founder of Narayana Health (Former Narayana Hrudayalaya). Dr. Devi Shetty was born in Kinnigoli village of Dakshina Kannada district, Karnataka. He dreamed of becomong a doctor when he was studying in fifth grade, since he heard about a South African surgeon who did worlds first heart transplant.
After completing his graduate degree in Medicine and post-graduate work in General Surgery from KasturbaMedicalCollege, Mangalore, He trained in cardiac surgery at Guy’s Hospital in the United Kingdom. In the year 1989 he returned to india and initially worked at B.M.BirlaHospital in Kolkata. He performed the first neonatal heart surgery in the country on a 9-day-old baby named “Ronnie” 1992 a successful operation in medical history. In Kolkata he operated on Mother Teresa after she had a heart attack and subsequently served as her personal physician.After some time, he moved to Bangalore and started the Manipal Heart Foundation at ManipalHospital, Bangalore.
Awards and recognition :
- Padma Bhushan award for Medicine in 2012
- Karnataka Ratna award in 2001
- Entrepreneur of the Year at ET awards in 2012
- Won the 2011 The Economist Innovation Awards for the Business process field.
- Honorary Degree, University of Minnesota in 2011
- Honorary Degree, Indian Institute of Technology Madras in 2014
- Schwab Foundation’s award in 2005
- Padma Shri award for Medicine in 2004
- Dr. B C Roy award in 2003
- Sir M. Visvesvaraya Memorial Award in 2003
- Ernst & Young – Entrepreneur of the Year in 2003
- Rajyotsava award in 2002
- Indian of the year in public sector choose by CNN-IBN for the year 2012