- Red chillies : 8 nos
- Mustard : 1 tsp
- Urad dal : 3 tsp
- Asafoetida powder : a pinch
- Oil for frying
- Tamarind : the size of a lemon
- Salt to taste
- Coconut (grated) : 1
- Dry red chillies, mustard, urad dal and asafoetida powder in a little oil until the dal turns brown and keep aside.
- Grind tamarind, fried chillies and asafoetida powder into a smooth paste, sprinkling a little water if necessary.
- Add the grated coconut, the fried mustard, urad dal and salt to the smooth paste and grind lightly and serve.