Chitradurga Fort also known as Chitaldoorg, is located in Chitradurga district, Karnataka. The fort was built in the 17th and 18th centuries by the rulers including chalukyas, hoysalas,Rashtrakutas as well as the nayakas of chitradurga. The Fort was built in stages between the 17th and 18th centuries by the dynastic rulers of the region, including the Rashtrakutas, Chalukyas and Hoysala as well as the Nayakas of Chitradurga. The expansion of the fort happened mostly during the 15 & 18th century periods. Tipu sultan also made his contributions of expansion and strengthening the fort during his rule.
The fort lies near the vedavati river. The surrounding hills belong to the oldest granite formation in the country. The highest hill, Jogi matti,lies 5 kilometres from chitradurga. The fort consists of a seven concentric fortification walls with various passages, warehouse for oil and grains, water reservoirs and ancient temples. The oldest temple is the hidimbeshwara temple. There are about 18 temples in the upper fort and one huge temple in the lower fort. It was during hyder ali’s rule the masjid was constructed. Inside the fort there are interconnecting tanks for rain water harvesting. The fort is situated in an area of 1500 acres. The fort is located 120 kms from Hampi and 200 kms from Bangalore. The nearest railway station is Davangere.