Bitter Gourd Palaya
- Bitter gourd : 1/2 kg
- Dhania : 1 tsp
- Jeera : 1/2 tsp
- Roasted urad dhal : 1 tsp
- Salt to taste
- Tamarind : a small lemon size ball
- Dry chillies : 2
- Coconut grating : 3 tbsp
- Roasted rice : 1 tsp
- Jaggery : 1 small ball
- Wash bitter gourd and cut in lengthwise into two halves.
- Clean the inside by removing seeds etc, mix these pieces with salt and keep for about five minutes.
- Grind all the masala items- dry chillies, roasted dhania, coconut grating, jeera, urad dhal and rice.
- Cook bitter gourd pieces with tamarind pulp, Jaggery, salt and water.
- Add masala paste while it is cooking.
- Cook for about 15 minutes.
- Add mustard, let it splutter, then add curry leaves and garlic flakes.