Bangalore Medical College
Bangalore Medical College, now renamed Bangalore Medical College and Research Institute, popularly known as BMC, is a medical college run by the Government of Karnataka. It is located on K.R. Road, near City Market. It is the only government medical college in Bangalore and one of 10 in Karnataka. BMC is an autonomous institution under the Rajiv Gandhi University of Health Sciences, Jayanagar, Bangalore.
It was established in 1955 by Dr. Shivram and Dr. Mekhri in what was then the fort police station ground. It was built by civil engineer and architect, Mr. V. Ramamoorthy, who built it in a record time of 6 months. The college was initially run by the Mysore Medical Education Society and was later handed over to the Government of Karnataka in 1956 and was affiliated to Bangalore University. After the formation of Rajiv Gandhi University of Health Sciences BMC was affiliated to the new university in 1997.
From its inception,the college has been associated with some of the most eminent doctors in India. It has become the most coveted destination for medical aspirants in the state of Karnataka to study medicine and has been consistently ranked among the top ten medical colleges in India.
It celebrated its golden jubilee in 2005–2006 with major renovation and the inauguration of a state-of-the-art digital library and Basavarajendra Auditorium. In 2006, the college was granted autonomous status by the Government of Karnataka.The college is presently undergoing major renovation along the lines of AIIMS.
Bangalore Medical College and Research Institute
Fort, K.R. Road
Bangalore – 560 002
Phone : +91 80 2670 0810
Fax : +91 80 2670 4342
E-Mai : email@example.com